18 April 2014

It All Began With A...

 Someone FINALLY fixed the inane requirement to reduce your speed on the Loop between the Hwy 78 exit at the mall and North Ave. As of March 17th, the speed limit on the entire span of Loop 10 is now 65 mph.
Heading out of Athens on Chase street, right before you go under the loop, there is a little Mexican restaurant on the right before you go under the bridge. Tlaloc El Mexicano. And, oh my gawd, it was easily the best Mexican food I've had in Athens. When you go make sure you order the pupusas, little pouches of cheese and jalapenos (you can also get them stuffed with pork). They are slap-yo-mama good (love you Mom ;). The service was phenomenal. The owner sat at my table, pointed out his favorites on the menu and helped me find something that perfectly suited my taste buds. A word of caution, it was A LOT of food. When I saw the plate, I planned on eating it over the course of two meals... but instead I ate the whole of it. The exquisite agony of overeating. El Mexicano is now on my list of regular haunts :) It seems like a great place for ladies night next week with my girlfriends-- vegetarian options AND margaritas?!?! YES :)
In case you are wondering Tlaloc is an Aztec rain god ("He who makes things sprout").
 Last night a date took me to UGA's Observatory for their open house. Unfortunately, those who decide things said it was too overcast (admittedly, it was...) to use telescope to gaze at all the fascinating things in the night sky. So instead they had a lecture on basics of astronomy and dark matter. I actually found it very intriguing. I walked away with a new curiosity regarding the way that maths and sciences are inter-connected. In chemistry right now I'm studying the elements and how they interact. The elements I am learning about are made by the stars (well the ones here on Earth WERE made by stars) and somewhere along the edge of the universe elements are being made right now. Gold, Oxygen,... Krypton. Astronomers have been studying the sky for thousands of years; they know some really interesting things. So anyways, I am looking forward to the open houses this coming fall. I want to see Jupiter with my own eyes :) And now I've added a telescope to the list of things I'll buy when I win the lottery. Btw, I am not able to ride away gracefully on my motorcycle when I know someone is watching (last night). I hope I don't fall over when Margie and I kick off for California. Maybe I will at least leave people with a laugh in their heart.

 Two of my favorite local bands have album release parties tonight (Friday): Cicada Rhythm (Caledonia Lounge) and Muuy Bien (The World Famous). You should check them out if you are looking for some fun. Kelly's Authentic Jamaican Food has an event this Saturday (all day). Fester Hagood and others will be turning out some feel good music. I love Fester's work and Kelly's Jamaican Food, so I'm planning on stopping by after work... and before I head to NPRDucati. Apparently the tail light on my motorcycle only works sporadically... which is kinda dangerous when you only have one. Oh, and Twilight Criterium is next weekend, so prepared accordingly!
Me and a few of my loved ones :)

 Lastly, happy Easter everyone! I hope you get to spend time with your loved ones and try not to overindulge on chocolate and jelly beans... or other edibles... Easter is on April 20th this year ;)

~Amanda Terranova

More info:
Athens Banner Herald's article on new speed limit
Tlaloc El Mexicano address:
1225 N. Chase St,  Athens, Georgia 30601
UGA's Observatory- located on top of the physics building on UGA's main campus
220 Cedar St, Athens GA

No comments:

Post a Comment