22 April 2014

Right is Left

 Last weekend there was a motorcycle accident with a fatality, in Oconee. Honestly, I have been putting off posting this week because I didn't know how I wanted to address or what I wanted to say. First I want to say, my heart goes out to anyone who loved the man who was killed, I cannot imagine your pain. The Athens Banner Herald article says that the motorcyclist ran a stop sign and "collided with an SUV." I do not assume that I know what happened, I was not there. There are a thousand reasons for him missing the stop sign, and I am certainly not in a position to judge him. I DO want to take this opportunity to focus on general bike safety. This posts addresses bikers, next week I will post one for non-bikers, or anyone who drives a 3+  wheeled vehicle.


 Riding a motorcycle requires CONSTANT VIGILANCE. During a discussion with an emergency room nurse, he explained to me that the majority of motorcycle accident patient that come in with serious or fatal injuries are a result of another driver not seeing the motorcycle. People just don't see you- they may be texting, or eating a dollar-menu burger, or they might look right at you and still not see you. Constant vigilance is required to be able to react as quickly and safely as possible. Scan intersections before you traverse them. Identify cars that may try to be turning in front of you, or look like they may try to run a light or stop sign. Pass slowly through parking lots, one of my friends say riding in parking lots is like playing chicken. Be the chicken. Also remember that the small size of motorcycles means that you can easily fit in blind spots. In bigger vehicles, there are A LOT of blind spots. I do not crank my motorcycle if I am angry or crying. Riding a motorcycle requires your full attention, and if you are cussing your boss, spouse, or Senator, you will ride more aggressively. Ah- ride defensively. This is the one I struggle with the most fiercely. I constantly battle the urge to lay on the throttle. Excessive speed reduces the amount of time you have to react.


My Icon Elsinore boots at the
beach earlier this year :)
  Wear gear. Personally, I think smart is sexy. And when I see bikers riding without helmets (as in SC recently) or chicks riding in tank tops and flip flops I am visited by the urge to smack them (mostly I just shake my head and go about my business). But my personal beliefs aside- the fact is pavement eats skin, muscle, and bones, and your life is fragile. Maybe you never get sick, maybe you are strong enough to fend off any attacker, but you are no match for a 3 ton midsize car. The physics are just not on your side, and you can't argue with physics. If you still need convincing watch Brittany Morrow's video, then browse her site, Rock the Gear, where you can read about the 522 feet of highway that ravaged Brittany's beautiful skin, see pictures of her scars, and read her story and mission. For chrissakes, make sure your passengers are properly protected with gear. Statistically, if you wreck they are much more likely to sustain serious injuries than the driver.


 Maintain your bike. Keep an eye on your tires, lights, chain, brake fluid level. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation is a great resource for this, check out their INTENSE pre-ride checklist. I may not keep my bike clean (all those dirt roads make it difficult) but I do take care of the innards. I am grateful to the guys at NPRDucati for teaching me how to safely protect myself and my bike. Its not like a car, if you blow a tire, you only have one other tire. I cannot imagine how difficult it is to ride a powerful unicycle travelling at highway speeds.

  Alcohol and Motorcycles do not mix well. The ER nurse I referred to earlier that the majority of non-fatal motorcycle accidents occur when people ride home with a high blood alcohol level.  On the occasion that I want to have a beverage (when my bike is my transportation) I limit myself to one drink per night. This allows me to socialize with my friends, or to have a glass of wine at dinner. Mostly I plan ahead, designating a driver, using my 4-wheeled vehicle, or asking a friend for a spare bed. I also wait at least an hour after finishing my beverage to crank my bike. Obviously, use your brain to make personal decisions for yourself regarding alcohol and riding, but this is what works for me. Keep in mind that  having ANY alcohol in your system increases your chances of crashing by 5-fold (according to the MSF). They also say "a BAC of 0.05% increases chance of crashing by about forty-fold."  I am ashamed to admit, I did ride my bike home after drinking too much a few years ago. And luckily, I made it home safely. I was distraught the next morning, and I committed not driving/riding drunk again. I've lost too many loved ones to drinking and driving. Take a cab, get a ride with a friend, sleep on an uncomfortable couch (comfort won't matter if you've been drinking anyways).
A jacket for my passengers that I picked
up at an odds and ends store for 20 bucks.

Pretend you're invisible. A lot of cars will get out of your way and avoid travelling too close, but a few won't. Most likely that means they do know you are there or they are being an ass... If you act like you are invisible, it will help keep you safe. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation has great instructional courses for both beginning and experienced riders. Find a course near you. I took the beginner course to get my motorcycle license, maybe I will try to fit in the advanced course before I leave for the far coast.

 I've been riding for a few years now (last week I rolled over 11k miles on my current bike), and I do not claim to be an expert by any means. Similar to when I asked readers not to text while driving, I am human and do not always follow my own rules.

Talk to me. If you have tips or have something you want to share you can post in the comments below or find me on facebook.

~Amanda Terranova

Additional info:
OnlineAthens article about motorcycle accident
Rock the Gear
The Motorcycle Safety Foundation
FromTheRefuge on facebook





No comments:

Post a Comment