25 April 2014

"the cycle of our souls"

ERMAHGERD!
FRSH PRVD RD!
 A road between The Refuge and my office is getting a fresh layer of asphalt and I am SOOO EXCITED about it. Yesterday I had to wait for 10 minutes for a pilot car to follow through the road construction. I bounced enthusiastically in place on my bike while I passed the time, not even caring about the wait. Daydreaming about the smooth, flat road they were creating :) and how I will soon be meandering down it. 

The much anticipated new brewery downtown is finally open to the public.  Creature Comforts is giving tours and selling samples starting this Saturday at 5:30p (to 730p). They have two other events planned for the same day- the 4th Annual Good Food and Good Beer Block Party (1p-4p). And Slingshot is hosting a Twilight after-party (10p-2a). Both events are in the brewery. Go have a beer, and let me know what you think. I heard on the radio show Athens New Matters they spent $2mil upgrading the building and it shows! 


 Twilight Criterium is this weekend! The road cycling race is a world class event, attracting cyclists from far, far away to try to claim the title. Surprisingly, no one from Athens has ever taken the men's title, but according to the Athens Banner Herald, a few Athenians could possibly win the title this year. The 706 Project is a team based in Athens has David Cueli that looks promising. Also look for Jordan Heimer, Ty Magner, or Frank Travieso, all local favorites. This is one of the few (if not only) opportunity to drink on the streets of Athens, and it is ALWAYS a party. 


 The Dirty Guv'nahs are coming back to town for a sold-out show on Saturday! I highly suggest you take the opportunity to go to this show at The Theatre if you can find tickets (I've had luck in the past just showing up at the door with cash, there is usually at least one person trying to get rid of a ticket). I danced like a fool at their last show and had a grand time. I even bought a tshirt ;)



 The Packway Handle Band, a local bluegrass favorite is playing tonight (Friday) at 40-Watt. Tickets are only $10! I'm gonna try to convince my date that he wants to go. I'm sure it won't be too difficult :) Packway Handle has been playing in Athens since 2001. You don't get to be an Athens staple unless you have real talent. Thankfully, the community here supports our local artists. That's why Athens has been turning out talented musicians for decades.  


 Oh, also, Shawn Mullins is playing at The Melting Point tomorrow. He makes GREAT Americana/singer songwriter music, you may remember him from "Lullaby", which was nominated for a Grammy. His new stuff is AWESOME. 


Have fun, but don't have too much fun ;)

~Amanda Terranova





Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment