05 June 2014

great big world



I found this butterfly in my boot in
Sequoia NP when I picked it 
I'm sitting at the base of a HUGE sequoia. The Giant Forest reminds me of Joyce Kilmer forest back closer to home. (I am getting more homesick every day.) The trees themselves have that silent strength that reminds me of my fragility. No matter how deep and strong my roots, these massive beasts will be here long after my roots return to the earth. And I love that :) Margie stayed at the entrance of the park to have lunch with a friend. I thought we were going to ride straight through and head to Yosemite, but it was an amazing ride in, and it's nice to sit in the forest and write alone.


Napa Vally scenery
 Yesterday morning we pointed our bikes to Yosemite National Park and waved bye to Dave and Posey, rested and fresh. We got to ride through the Eucalyptus Trees again (sigh :) Napa Valley was... oookay... The scenery was mostly golden grassy hills with occasional grape vines, low scrub trees, with the occasional eucalyptus tree. Traffic was congested. Hwy 12 moved slowly. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if I was in a different mood (maybe a wine drinking mood ;)

 But I wanted to be at Yosemite already ("Are we there yet?") and had more than one conversation with myself about patience and how I want to live to be an old-lady motochick. Margie's been teaching me a lot about how to be safe. I'm thinking about doing a post entirely composed of the things I've learned on this trip relating to motorcycle travel and safety. Maybe when I get home and get some sleep.


Enjoying the fresh air in Yosemite
We arrived at Yosemite late afternoon,  and I could have spent a month there. I don't even know how to describe it. The road into the valley floor twisted and turned like only National Park roads do (preserving as much of the natural landscape as possible, I assume). It took us through some fun tunnels too. I really enjoy the sound my bike makes in tunnels as it roars powerfully :)




 Sadly, we didn't have time to ride the entire valley floor, as we wanted to catch the sunset from the top of the mountain. I cried a little as we passed the turn. We stopped at Tunnel View, from that point I could see Half Dome in the distance behind El Capitan and Bridalveil Waterfall. We sat and stared at the...nature of it all for a while. Then we started giggling like schoolgirls, amazed at how blessed we felt.


Helping out some new friends with fuel, 
thanks for the donation!
 It was difficult to tear myself away and get back on my bike. The clean pine scented air needed breathing. I wanted to explore the wildlife and flora that grows. I can't wait to go back and explore the waterfall and Half Dome, the valley floor, and hike to Inspiration Point (it has to be amazing with a name like that, just sayin').

 We stopped about an half hour after sunset to check out the stars. We had a conversation about men and relationships. It's great to get the opinion of a successful, intelligent, and powerful woman (especially since she is blissfully married to her husband of many years), take her advice, and chew on it. Her husband is her cheerleader and he supports her wild hairs. And it gives me a lot to think about, to reflect on my life. It's hard to believe all those stars are always up there. So many get drowned out by light pollution. I told Margie about the app that you can use to identify the constellations. The North Star, as always, burned brightest :)


 On the night ride to Sequoia National Park, we passed a cruiser who fell in behind us, keeping up with us on the tight turns. When we stopped for fuel and rest outside of Fresno, it pulled in behind us. I have to admit, I was surprised it was a chick. I don't meet many girls who ride well. (Except of course when we congregate at The Women's Sport Bike Rally). I'm excited to have a new female friend  can ride with on the West Coast. I'll be back Sarah, and if you ever make it to Georgia, let me know and cause I'd love to show you around. Actually the invitation is open to everyone I've met along the way. Please let me know if you're coming to my playground :)


The road to The Giant Forest
 The ride into The Giant Forest today was a glorious twenty miles or so.  I wrote in an earlier post of how I feel like I am a solid intermediate rider. One of the things keeping me out of the advanced label was my lack of experience on curvy roads. But something changed today. The curves don't stress me out anymore. I didn't worry once about riding off the side of the mountain.  I felt the road under me telling the safe and fast line. It comes easily to me now, and the stress I felt (homesick and traffic in LA/Napa) over the last few days melted away as I went into go mode. You know that feeling? Focusing completely on the task at hand, yet doing it all with muscle memory...

 The feeling of deliverance I'm getting from The Giant Forest reminds me of a story I heard from a Operation Iraqi Freedom veteran.  The Wounded Warrior Project took him and a few other vets fishing.  Provided the fishing poles,  tackle, and other gear the guys needed,  and the boat of course. When returning from combat vets sometimes have a hard time adjusting back to civilian life. It's important for them to get away and find some peace.

 This is only ones of the ways the WWP helps our veterans. I needed this trip myself, to find some peace and balance in my life, and I haven't been shot or shot at other humans. I haven't lost close friends or brothers in arms to roadside bombs. I haven't had a mortar drop into my bunker while I slept. This is what the OIF/OEF Veterans are dealing with. And WWP does so much more than just fishing trips. They rehab lost limbs and organize social events to give vets the opportunity to get together and meet others who share experiences. This is why I chose to invest my time and energy in this nonprofit. I hope you have begun to understand the reason behind my enthusiasm for The Wounded Warrior Project.  If you have a little extra money in your budget, please take a few minutes to donate. Just give what you can.

 Lastly, a little note of thanks of my own. Katie, one of my closest friends inspired me to start writing. For Christmas last year she gave me a journal and told me of all the people she knew I was the one that she most wanted to hear what I had to say. It's taken me a while to build up my confidence,  (also it takes a little bit of arrogance to assume that people want to read my stuff) but I'm grateful she gave me the gentle push to do this. Thank you Katie,  I find a lot of joy in writing. And I hope you enjoy the rides I share :)

~Amanda Terranova

Follow me on G+: Amanda Terranova

FacebookFromTheRefuge
Twitter: FromTheRefuge
Youtube: Amanda Terranova


No comments:

Post a Comment