11 April 2014

Blues Skies

 The wisteria is blooming and it smells soooo sweet :) The sweet smells of spring needs to be on your list of reasons to ride your motorcycle to work and leave your car at home. We shouldn't be locked up tightly in cramped travelling boxes when the world smells so sweet and the air is warm and moist on our skin. When I'm riding, and I cannot pick up cell phone calls, alone in my helmet, my only thoughts center around staying safely on my bike... I noticed how truly rich and wonderful the world is. So many things that I worry about are really just not worth my time and they just melt away, and I am free to notice the climbing purple flowers.

 Ladies (and gents too if wineries are your thing), there is a winery about 30 minutes north of Athens! I recently took a friend to Boutier Winery for a birthday celebration; and we had a grand time. The winery is owned and run by a couple, Mary and Victor. Mary has a charming Irish accent; and she provides excellent conversation while she shares her husband's wines with you. You can taste 10 wines for $10 or 6 wines for $6.  I REALLY REALLY liked their Cythiana. A dark, dry red that has a little bit of the peppery spice that I love in my reds, with a marvelous aftertaste.  I also recommend trying their Peach o Peno. Its a Georgia Peach wine that has been cut with jalapeno. The smell burns your nose hairs, but the flavor is worth a taste, unique and unforgettable, not nearly as hot as the smell suggests. Please just remember to bring a designated driver or book a night at the Bed and Breakfast that is on premises.

 While updating my Upcoming Events Calendar yesterday I stumbled across something I wanted to share with my "outdoorsy" readers: The Georgia Trail Summit kicked off yesterday at The Georgia Museum of Art. There are keynote speakers today (Friday), followed by a conference discussing various trail topics like maintenance and promotion. The website says that the committees will also discuss the benefits and types of trails available to those of us who live in Georgia. On Saturday there are "mobile workshops" including hikes "Athens Music History" and "Cook's Trail, according to Cook." There are guided bike rides, paddling adventures, and a horseback ride at Sandy Creek Park. They hilariously say "bring your own horse."

 Other goings-on in Athens this weekend:
       - Ben Taylor, the son of folk rock artists James Taylor and Carly Simon, plays tonight at Melting Point. I love his music, but I'm helping my brother celebrate his birthday tonight. (ily Zach!) Doors open at 8pm, show 18+, Tickets $18/door.
       - Saturday is G-Day. The football game is at 1pm, there are lots of other UGA games. Admission is FREE (I'm pretty sure), but there will be a canned food drive going on benefiting the Food Bank of Northeast Georgia.
      - Saturday night is a Boybutante Ball at 40-Watt, the theme is "Drag to the Future." These shows are always a riot, and the funds raised go to members in our community with AIDS.

As always, feel free to contact me with upcoming events or new venues I should try :)
~Amanda Terranova

PS Check out "Klimbin" by Don Ross for a bubbly pick me up. I feel like this is the melody of my life these days :)


Useful Info:
Boutier Winery address: 4506 Hudson River Church Rd, Danielsville, GA 30633

No comments:

Post a Comment