12 May 2014

"You can't always get what you want"

 I've finally gotten some sleep and feel human again. It's been a busy weekend. I'm starting to look forward to the alone time in my helmet. The bike wash on Saturday was a success :) You can check out the pics below!

 There was a punk rock show at Caledonia Lounge this weekend. One of my friends is a huge fan so I was lucky to get introduced to a fun style of music. And I added a few new local bands to my favorites list. Check out Burns Like Fire and Ganges Phalanges the next time you see them on a play bill.

 I got a gentle reminder this weekend the veterans The Wounded Warrior Project are helping could be (and are) my friends and loved ones. Even though I was raised by two military police officers- I find myself disgustingly ignorant of the challenges facing Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom veterans. The veterans of my generation. These guys and gals are my firemen, security gaurds, nurses, tutors, bartenders, fellow students, neighbors, and homeboys :)

 I was also reminded our OIF/OEF Veterans are just like me and nothing like me. They have similar dilemmas as I (Like how does my motorcycle collect so many effing bugs? Did I really forget to pay my cell phone bill? And my aging dog is making me anxious about leaving him for this trip...). But veterans are very different from me in the sacrifices they've made and their life experiences. Most vets have spent months or years away from their loved ones on boats and planes. But mostly alternatively baking and freezing in the desert. Sometimes living in tents with an inescapable threat of death or serious bodily injury every day. So take care of the veterans in your life because they took care of you (in ways we won't ever know or understand).

I spoke to a young, veterans wife this weekend that told me about WWP provided her husband with job training and hooked him up with businesses that were hiring. She told me that they recently took him fishing. She explained exactly how valuable that trip was in reducing his stress level, helping him be a better father, husband, and employee. I'm proud to be raising money for WWP. 

 Your next opportunity to come out and have a good time for a worthy cause is May 16th (from 6pm until 11pm....or midnight... or lets see how the night goes ;) We are organizing a bon voyage celebration at Allison Creek Farm. It will be an intimate setting with lots of laughter and cheers, taking advantage of their pavilion and bar area. A friend of my family is gonna cook up some ribs (I'm thinking about begging Trae up at Kumquat Mae to conjure up some delicious food with her magic.)  But I think we are going to keep it to finger style foods and a wet bar downstairs. You can find the address below but please contact me to get on the list. Anyone is welcome to attend. There will of course be music :) I've started working on a play list for this party.

 Also regarding music, I need a few suggestions for music to listen to on my trip, I'd like to know what y`all listen to while you travel. Maybe I'll do a post about it somewhere along the way.

Bike Wash and Cookout Thanks to:
 Everyone who attended, brought bikes, appetites, and smiles :)
 Arienne, Amy, Rachel donated their time and energy to help me wash bikes (also one Vespa and a Porsche) and collect donations. Thank you, my friends, for being willing to get dirty, and doing the tiring work.
 Bob Suter and DJ Clarke as grillers.
 NPRDucati for the pavement, water, hours invested, promotions, and most importantly expertise, I'm sure I'm forgetting somethi
 Kumquat Mae for the delicious cookies :)
 Cori Carter and Justin Morris for taking pics. 
 My father, my sister, and Duarte for the background support. 

 This endeavor has been another reminder of my amazing support system, not just my family but my invaluable friends. I hope I bring half as much value to your lives as you bring to mine. And thank you for putting up with my energy :) 

~Amanda Terranova

Follow me on
Google Plus: Amanda Terranova
Facebook: FromTheRefuge
Twitter: FromTheRefuge
Youtube: Amanda Terranova

Read more about why I chose The Wounded Warrior Project


 

  

 


       


  

 

 


 










No comments:

Post a Comment