08 May 2014

sugarlips and bikerchicks

 One of the Good Ol' Georgia boys I know just called me "sugarlips," I got a kick out of that :) So, the day is fast approaching when I leave! I took my last final on the 6th, and I started packing this morning (I'll do a separate post on the complete pack list). I need to do some housecleaning and hit the grocery store (/liquor store to stock up for my friends staying at my house). I have a thousand emails to send, you should see my to-do list :( 


My dog checking out the
pile in my living room ready
to pack into saddle bags :)
 I picked up a wrist splint from Care Medical on Prince Ave for $36. My throttle wrist has been giving me some trouble (sometimes the outside of the joint burns SOOO badly). So Ive been trying to rehab it and build its strength before my trip. I switched up my workout routine to include fingertip wall pushups, and planks with fists (instead of on the flats of my hands). I have Ashley Maxwell, a friend and colleague, to thank for the rehab advice- she knows her shit, its really helping!  I also have a Cramp Buster on the way. It is a $9 device that fits around the throttle and lets you maintain speed but releases your grip. I will let you know how well it works. 

 Cramp Buster
 In case you haven't heard- This Saturday (May 10th) a few girlfriends and I are having a Bike Wash from 10am to 2pm at NPRDucati. Come by and let us wash the highway off your bike. Proceeds will benefit The Wounded Warrior Project. We will be firing up the grill for some burgers and hotdogs! So bring a beer or two and hang out for the afternoon :) Also please, please spread the word! I could use your help inviting people. 

 Preparations for the kickoff party at Allison Creek Farm are under way. Keep your schedule clear for the evening of May 16th and I will send out the rest of the information soon! My sister and I are also working on a party at Durhamtown when Margie and I get back so expect those details soon as well :) I am heading to Stagecoach in Buckhead to see a few friends tonight and pick up more donations. So far between pledges and donations we have raised about $5000!!! 

 I've dreamed off and on through the years of getting a license to fly a plane. So when I met a pilot last weekend I enjoyed the opportunity to learn a little bit about the lifestyle. Our conversation left me with the realization that I had no idea what its like to be a pilot. While I am certain that I would enjoy the well-known benefits of a captains uniform (the layovers, chasing sunsets and oh how I love discovering new restaurants- hey I know myself ;) Turns out pilots work A LOT, not to mention the time investment to even get licensed. And its more sunrises than sunsets (which are equally amazing--I just usually sleep through them). I don't think it pays very well, at least in the beginning. Yes, he had some heart thumping stories similar to the ones I find on my motorcycle, but in the end, I think a high altitude life would be too lonely for me. I have deep roots here in Athens. And I like seeing both family and friends often :) Perhaps if I ever find myself with a lot of extra time (and money) it would be a fun adventure. 

 Last night a friend and I checked out Athens Word of Mouth. I really didn't know what to expect, except person after person reading their poems. And I'm happy to report I was impressed with the quality of work our Athens poets produced. The verses were inspiring and captivating. The audience was appriciative of the courage it takes to get on stage and bare your soul. If you like this kind of thing and want to check it out the group meets the first Wednesday of every month at The Globe. You can even sign up to share something you've written.  

 I don't write poetry (I'm still struggling with the idea that I've become a writer), but I want to share my favorite poem from my favorite poet. "To The Not Impossible Him" by Edna St. Vincent Millay. IMO, Millay is one of the most fascinating women of the 20th century. One of the first openly bisexual woman, she lived in NYC during the Roaring Twenties, you've probably heard her "First Fig" (My candle burns at both ends; / It will not last the night; / But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends— / It gives a lovely light!).

"To The Not Impossible Him"
HOW shall I know, unless I go
  To Cairo and Cathay,
Whether or not this blessed spot
  Is blest in every way?
Now it may be, the flower for me
  Is this beneath my nose;
How shall I tell, unless I smell
  The Carthaginian rose?
The fabric of my faithful love
  No power shall dim or ravel
Whilst I stay here,–but oh, my dear
  If I should ever travel!
---->  Here's a hint, reread it- because it's not about travelling at all, it is about men.      

Until next time, 
~Amanda Terranova

Follow me on
Google Plus: Amanda Terranova
Facebook: FromTheRefuge
Twitter: FromTheRefuge
Youtube: Amanda Terranova


No comments:

Post a Comment