03 May 2014

S'mores and More :)

A message for the officer who flashed their lights at me last Saturday afternoon: Thank you for not pulling me over. AND I swear I had no idea that my license plate was missing.

 I explored the Twilight festivities for a while.  I headed home early, because I wanted to head down to Sapelo Island for the weekend. I woulda been on the island earlier but I'd frustratingly left my debit card at 40Watt. On the way highway home I had just emerged from a pack of cars when I saw a car approaching me in the slow lane (on a four lane divided highway). I checked my speed, I decided the driver must be a crazy mo-fo and I slowed to let him/her pass and go on their way. Turned out to be a Georgia State Patrol Car... so, yeah. They passed me, switched into my lane and immediately moved into the left turn lane. As I passed them again, he or she flashed their spotlight on me. I stopped for gas a few miles down the road, I removed my gear (which I almost never do when I refuel), and took a few deep breaths-- when I noticed I had empty space where my effin' license plate was supposed to be located. Again to the officer: THANK YOU, and I already replaced it! Good thing my father has a metal shop and I can make a new mounting bracket!

My dogs want to be
beach bums
 In light of the missing license plate I decided to take the jeep to the coast (the tag commissioner doesn't work on the weekends). I forget how expensive fuel is when I can fill my tank with premium fuel for $12. And fuel goes so fast! Jeepers. Its a good thing I am taking the bike to the far coast, I could never afford the fuel for less than 60 miles per gallon.

Caught this guy (or gal ;)
in a net when we fished with
the locals 
 So ya'll know that I avoid interstates as often as possible. I guess I feel like the journey is part of the experience, and I miss so much on the interstate. A perfect example, as I passed through Sparta, GA I watched a kid (couldnta been more than 4 or 5 years old) riding his tricycle down the sidewalk, the most adorable thing of all time. I imagined he was on the way to his grandmother's (or perhaps his Aunt LaLa's ;) house for some fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. It made me think of days-gone-by and inspired me to find a country music station (that played music my parents when I was a kid). I rediscovered some of my old favorites-  Strawberry Wine, Indian Outlaw, Pickin Wildflowers... Also I am already a sustaining member GPB/NPR! I understand your need to hold a membership pledge drive- but a girl can only take so much!

My friends exploring Sapelo
in the back of a pickup :)
 Sapelo Island is a fairly remote getaway on the Georgia coast. It is EASILY my favorite weekend getaway from Athens, mostly because I don't have to put up with a lot of traffic (the island has a permanent population of 67 people). But also because I LOVE the people that live on the island. When I am on Sapelo I daydream that I could live there, but the reality is that I am too ambitious-- and too busy. But who knows what the future will bring...
Sunset on Sapelo

 A ferry service provided by GA Dept of Natural Resources is the only way to access the island, unless you have your own boat and know how to captain it of course ;) There is one -TINY- store on the island where you can get water, beer, snacks, and some locally made crafts. This was my third trip to this sanctuary. I stayed at Reynolds Mansion with a large party of people.  You can also rent houses or camp. Only 3% of the island is in private ownership.  They rest is owned and managed by the state. It is mostly used for research.  I learned that our bonfire was the last one allowed for the year. Apparently the loggerhead turtles use the island to nest and fires distract them. I met a very nice Park Ranger who took me exploring after the fire went out. He showed me the old cotton plantation ruins, the lighthouse, the thousands of years old shell rings- I even got a special tour of the Mansion where he showed me the hidden door that protected the liquor stash during Prohibition. The next morning I got up early and bicycled to the beach (and on the beach). I laid for three hours, reading and writing... dozing by myself  :) I watched a school of dolphins circle in the tide, feeding and playing. It was very difficult to leave for home later that day.

     

I promise to post more often after my last final on Tuesday. If you are in Athens this weekend, check out the 36th Annual Human Rights Festival and The Indie South Fair.

~Amanda Terranova

Follow me on
Google Plus: Amanda Terranova
Facebook: FromTheRefuge
Twitter: FromTheRefuge
Youtube: Amanda Terranova


No comments:

Post a Comment