08 April 2014

Night and Day

 At the NPRDucati party on Saturday I met a man with whom I shared a friend. We were talking about the way we danced at shows with her. We involuntarily started dancing like her, and we danced wildly for a few moments... until a lovely awkward moment when a passerby caught us rocking to imaginary music. I love shit like that :)  Athens has so many people with whom I share a kindred spirit. I am excited to find others between here and the far coast.

 Last night I sound myself in downtown after the dinner rush and before the zombies arrive to party. It had rained all day and downtown was fresh and clean.  I could even smell the fresh air from the trees on Clayton. I will be sad to see them go. I needed to grab some food before heading back to campus to study. My go-to for healthy food on the go, Barbaritos was closed. Pita pit was closed... Downtown was mostly deserted, so I really couldnt blame them for closing early.  I had settled on eating another protein bar when I happened by NONA and saw a young man (dressed like he just got off work from said restaurant) smoking a cigarette and otherwise looking handsome. Knowing that cooks generally know how to eat, I asked him for direction to his healthy food choice. Patrick pointed me to Speakeasy one doorway down on Broad.

 Speakeasy is great for a date night or a small gathering of close friends. However, it gets really loud, so I prefer other restaurants for 4 or more people. The food encourages sharing, with mostly tapa style food. You would think that this wouldnt be enough food, but I've never left Speakeasy hungry. Try the coconut shrimp and the fried asparagus.... and the fondue. Oh the fondue, definitly the chocolate fondue. Last night I got the veggie plate to go. The collards and blackeyed peas were delicious. They even threw in some really good cornbread for me :)

 Tomorrow night (Wednesday at 7pm) is Rabbitbox, storytelling for adults. If you havent given it a chance, you should try it this month. I heard last month they had over 200 people show up to listen. This month's show is at Sandy Creek Nature Center. The theme of this one, "Out On A Limb" hints at some interesting stories already. I will see you there.

Lastly, this weekend Canopy Studio has a show. They teach "flying aireal dance trapeze" students :)  I'm really looking forward to it!

Talk to you soon
~Amanda Terranova

Useful info:
Address for Rabbitbox location this month: Sandy Creek
400 Bob Holeman Rd, Athens, GA 30607

No comments:

Post a Comment