21 May 2014

bob's your uncle!

When Margie signed on for this trip, her one request was for us to spend two nights in New Orleans. Mostly because I'd never been to NOLA (but also- I suspect- because she loves this place). I have to admit, I was hesitant. I knew I wanted to get to the west coast as quickly as possible, so I could take my time on the Pacific Coastal Highway. I've never been west of Colorado/Wyoming, and I want to explore... did you know there is a RAIN FOREST in the state of Washington!
Live music on Frenchmen St
I digress, I am so effing glad we took our time here. New Orleans has a great energy vibe. Jazz, bluegrass, and all forms of music flood the streets at most hours of both day and night. Last night after I posted, we headed down to Frenchman Street. Our hotel concierge suggested it as a place to find good live music. Eric, the pedicab driver, suggested we order a Sazerac at The Spotted Cat and check out the music there. The music was great and we made new friends visiting from Australia. A Sazerac(generally accepted as the oldest known American Cocktail from Pre-Civil War, NOLA) typically consists of cognac or rye, absinthe, Peychaud's Bitters, and sugar. It will knock you on your ass. It was delicious, I'm just warning you, drink with caution and lots of water. 
Working on Bourbon 
St... yes, working... 
and drinking of course ;)

I understand that most Bourbon street bars are open til 4am, while some don't close. I remember hearing that NOLA smelled bad, but Bourbon Street is the only place that was rank that I visited. I didn't spend much time on Bourbon Street, I guess because it seemed like the kind of party I could find on any night in downtown Athens, but with more hookers. 

Speaking of hookers, late last night, well, this morning (near abouts 3am- headed back to the hotel). I was recruited by a pimp. Apparently, my tshirt, red jeans, and heels suggested I was looking for work (now that I think about it- it was most likely that I was lively at such a late hour).  He was made a good argument for the oldest profession of the world, but I couldn't be convinced.  He certainly didn't convince me he made sure "his people" got home safe, but he did try to introduce me to one of his employees... There’s a first time for everything.


Needless to say, we slept in this morning. From what I understand, not much happens in NOLA before lunch anyways ;) When we finally climbed out of bed and struck out on foot for the French Market area to get a Muffaletta. Its a sandwich with a medley of deli-meats on a roll of muffaletta, swiss and provelone, and this olive...CRACK. I don't know all the ingredients (olives, onions, capers, peppers, spices, garlic and I don't know what else). Just a good sandwich. Its a lot of food too, so take someone to share it with. We picked ours up from General Grocery, reported creator of the Muffaletta 60 years ago. Though I heard Napoleon House has the best muffalato sandwich in NOLA, the General Grocery Muffaletta was delicious! 

Margie and I sat in a mini park near the Grocery with a group of people who said they "weren't homeless, but home free!" We recorded Sara singing one of her original songs, and she was actually pretty good! I'll try to find a way to share her song, it was quite beautiful, and actually suits this trip of mine :) They were friendly and helpful and we hung out until an officer came by to tell us to clear the area.
Beignets at Cafe Du Monde

I checked out Cafe Du Monde (in the French Market) for these famous beignets that everyone was talking about. (The beignets did not disappoint!) I also did a little shopping at the vendors in the market. There is a lot of great art, some of it is local. I suggest you start at the far end of the market and stroll to the entrance, ending at Cafe Du Monde for beignets and chicory coffee. There were street vendors playing music, people singing. I picked up a children's book by a local author for one of my nieces/nephews. Some cajun seasoning for my folks... I found a mascot for my trip- a LEGO Wonder Woman. Now to find a way to adhere her to Welly.
  
Lego Wonder Woman!

We took a carriage ride with Robert and Cadillac from Mid-City Carriages and Tours around the French Quarter. Born and raised NOLA resident, Robert was a wealth of local knowledge. Restaurants he recommended: Gumbo Shop For really good, local food at a reasonable price) and Napoleon House (for Muffalettas). Fun things to do: take a class or shop at New Orleans School of Cooking. Visit Preservation Hall, a historical site which was instrumental in the development of Jazz
Cadillac, our trusty steed, 
already asleep, 30 seconds 
after parking the carriage
Stroll down Royal Street, a fun street to window shop. Hit Maskarade for fun, custom masks.

working while on the 
carriage tour
A little French Quarter and NOLA history:
France claimed Louisiana territory in 1682. After the Seven Years War, the territory was split, part was given to Spain, and the other to Napoleon. Napoleon turned around and sold the territory to us (ha-gettit? oh nevermind) for $15 million US because he was waging an expensive war. That's about 4 cents an acre. Sounds like a good deal to me :)
Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop
 In 1788 a fire burned 856 of the 1000 or so buildings that made up NOLA, a few years later another fire burned ~200 more buildings. Most of the French architecture burned and the city was rebuilt by the Spanish. You can see the Spanish's influence all over the French Quarter, with the tall windows and doors... One of the buildings with French architecture that survived the fire is Lafitte`s Blacksmith Shop on Bourbon Street. (It's now a bar.)
Jackson Square, the cathedral and
one of the twin Pontalba buildings
the Baroness' other building
Jackson Square, a park in the French Quarter is bordered by the Market, St. Louis Cathedral, the oldest continually operated cathedral in the States, and the twin Pontalba apartment buildings. The twin brick buildings were built by Micaela Almonester, Baroness de Pontalba.  She seems like a very shrewd businesswomen, supposedly, these were the first apartment  Margie made the comment that this is a town that has been heavily influenced by women. It certainly seems true. Marie Laveau, (the Voodoo Priestess), another famous NOLA native. She was known for her love potions, and her grave is one of the most visited in the nation.

Zach and his mother :)
 (another cool NOLA female-
she started their shop!)
 Before dinner we headed out to visit the guys out at Transportation Revolution. They are the Ducati (and Vespa/Triumph) dealers here in New Orleans. They have some really cool stuff. If you look in the picture to the right--> behind me there is a bike who's tank was decorated with a Sharpie. It made me want to go get markers and start coloring on my bike. But since I cannot produce anything nearly as cool as that thing, I will just keep collecting stickers :) 

 I got some great advice on roads to ride in the southwestern United States while I was there too! Im looking forward to coming back. Between my experience here in NOLA and Max's invitation, I may come back soon for my first track day. 

 Okay, I could keep writing about this place for hours more, but I need to get to bed. We push off early in the morning for Killian, Texas, so I need some sleep. 

Westbound!
~Amanda Terranova
Follow me on G+: Amanda Terranova
FacebookFromTheRefuge
Twitter: FromTheRefuge
Youtube: Amanda Terranova





No comments:

Post a Comment